We are looking for volunteers who would like to either commit to an executive role in 2014 or take the lead on one of our many events throughout the year. Executive roles include:
- Vice Chair
- Volunteer Coordinator
Executive roles are 100% volunteer, and form the backbone of chapter. Read on for a description of what each role entails:
As Chair of the Executive Team, you help connect people with Surfrider Foundation, encourage participation in the protection and enjoyment of our oceans, waves and beaches through engaged activism. The Chair provides leadership in achieving chapter strategic goals and success with chapter campaigns such as Snowrider Project, Blue Water Task Force, and Rise Above Plastics. As Chair, you will oversee the operations of chapter business, working closely with other Executive Team members and Surfrider Foundation Headquarters, networking with other organizations of agents of government, and providing support for fellow members and volunteers. The Chair is responsible for following up on important issues, events, and action items as determined on a chapter calendar, assign tasks with deadlines and must be able to work well with all types of people.
You will be responsible for:
- Delegating and communicating tasks to executive team
- Presiding over chapter meetings
- Acting as the primary point of contact for press inquiries
- Acting as a co-signatory on the chapter bank account
As Vice Chair, you are responsible for planning, organizing and directing a program that ensures membership retention and growth. This position works closely with the Volunteer Coordinator, and other members of the executive team to execute the chapter strategy. You will be responsible for:
- Performing all duties listed under the Chair description and acting in place of the Chair if he/she cannot perform.
- Encouraging membership retention and growth
- Acting as chapter liaison with Treasurer, on a monthly basis or – as required, (submitting checks to the Treasurer or mailing payments if necessary)
- Communicating pertinent financial matters to the executive team, and leading quarterly budget review sessions
- Acting as first point of contact for donor & sponsorship requests and seeing them through to completion.
As Treasurer, you will be responsible for the Vancouver chapter’s financial records. You will be the central source of financial information for the chapterand will play an active role in budgeting activities along with the executive team. You will be responsible for:
- Keeping an accurate account of all transactions in Excel.
- Reconciling bank records
- Producing financial reports for the chapter to SurfriderFoundation National quarterly
- Paying to Surfrider Foundation National all financial obligations of the chapter as they come due
- Abiding by all regulations established for Canadian Charitable and non-profit organizations, and advising the executive team as necessary
- Acting as co-signatory on the chapter bank account (Chair is other co-signatory)
We are seeking a candidate with strong attention to detail and moral integrity. Extensive experience is not necessary, but some bookkeeping experience and familiarity with Excel and accounting concepts are. You will have the support of Surfrider FoundationHeadquarters, which will take care of compliance reporting and legal requirements (charity information return etc).
As Volunteer Coordinator, you will be the first point of contact for all new chapter volunteers, a friendly face to help them get started. You will ensure all new members have a copy of our ‘Volunteer 101′ document, and understand Surfrider’s mission and Vancouver goals. We currently have an average of two events per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Coordinating volunteers, in person or via email using the volunteer email list
- Maintaining the volunteer mailing list
- Working with executive team and committee leads to forecast volunteer needs for events and committee initiatives
- Working with executive team and committee leads to recruit new members
- Briefing volunteers on event or campaign logistics and expectations
- Delegating tasks and occasionally supervising event volunteers
Our volunteers are the heart and soul of our organization. We are looking for a volunteer coordinator with a proactive, team-oriented and problem solving approach.
As Secretary, you will be responsible for maintaining the chapter’s records (minutes), correspondence and key information. The Secretary keeps an accurate record of meetings and topics of discussion of thechapter and of the Executive Committee. You will be responsible for:
- Compiling and sending monthly reports to Headquarters
- Offering guidance to executive team with regards to the whereabouts of chapter information
- Monitoring inventory of chapter materials, including merchandise, brochures, and tabling material
TO THROW YOUR HAT IN THE RING…
Send an email with your name & contact information, the position(s) to which you are applying and a short description of why you would be suitable for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 31st. Not sure if you are a good fit – ask! Outgoing executives will be happy to guide you through what it means to be on the team. You must be a member in good standing to be eligible for an executive position. Memberships can be renewed online here.
Voting will take place at the January 7, 2014 general meeting by anonymous vote. Votes may be submitted in advance if you are not able to make the meeting. All candidates will have an opportunity for a 1 – 2 minute time to present themselves to the group if they choose.
Not sure, have questions? Get in touch via email@example.com.